The Royal Arms of Henry VIHenry VI arrived at Croydon in June 1451, with a large army of several thousand, to carry out justice and punishment in the southern counties, and he stayed at the palace for two or three days.
The Royal Arms
is situated in the Great Hall. Beneath the crown, the arms of Edward the Confessor impale those
of England and France, flanked by angel supporters. A third angel holds a scroll inscribed 'D'ne
salvum fac regem'. The shield below is that of Archbishop John Stafford.