At Charing, just below the North Downs, and the last stop on the Archbishops' journey back to Canterbury, there is the remains of a fine fourteenth century hall. One of the earliest records of its use by the archbishops appears in the registers of Archbishop Winchelsey, who arrived there from Horton Priory on 4 April 1299 and stayed until leaving for Maidstone on 25 April. Archbishop Morton, during his building spree of 1490, carried out major building operations at Charing as well as at Maidstone and Croydon. In 1547, during the reign of Archbishop Cranmer, Charing was lost to Henry VIII.
What remains of the fine hall is now converted into a barn.
|Back to Archbishops' Trail||Back to Homepage||Getting To Charing|